Save the Night
Participants: Max Kerns & Amanda Apicella
Description of Project: To research Ohio Wesleyan University’s history in regards to Astronomy as well as look into the topic of light pollution and how it can be addressed both on campus and off. We are going to be looking into past projects and proposals at OWU and to other campuses/areas that have taken steps or made attempts to address this issue. We also hope to propose potential solutions to issues of light pollution and the pros & cons of each for our campus and the city of Delaware Ohio. It is also important to look into ways to raise awareness to start getting others involved so that future plans/projects can get the support they need.
- Ohio Wesleyan University’s History with Astronomy
- Perkins Observatory
- Student Observatory
- Previous Projects and Proposals
- Lights Out OWU (by Brendan Wood and Varalie Vanichstin)
- Incandescent Suppressant Fluorescent Project (by Andrea Mac Vay and Sean Kinghorn)
- Details and Information on Light Pollution
- Types of light pollution and what causes them (types of lights and uses of them)
- Effects on Environment and Human Health
- Security and crime
- Recommendations and Potential models
- Earth Hour Promis
- Retrofitting city lighting
- Potentially adding top covers for outdoor lighting to limit amount of upward-facing light
- Energy saving initiatives
- Earth Hour Link – These sources are all regarding Earth Hour, its organization and the event/day.
- Light Pollution
- Light Pollution Link 1/3 of humanity can’t see milky way
- FAU Astronomical Observatory – Light Pollution Endangers our Security and Safety – Lighting does not automatically equal safety and ways in which it is done/lit can make things even more dangerous and/or reduce visibility of potential threats. Inefficient and ineffective lighting is not only producing excessive light pollution but is also harmful for people as well.
- Darksky – Lighting, Crime and Safety – Similar to the FAU link but more concise. Increase in lighting does not seem to affect crime rates and in some cases shows the opposite in that decreased lighting can actually reduce crime depending on the area and how it is done.
- FAU Astronomical Observatory – Human Health and Light Pollution – Link to the site’s main section regarding human health and includes multiple other links to specific issues. These issues include suppressing Melatonin production which can lead to faster cancer growth (especially breast cancer) and multiple other health issues due to how many bodily functions and hormones it influences.